LaShawn D. Riggans
Areas of Practice
Litigation and Appellate Law
Local Government Law
Ms. Riggans is a graduate of Kennesaw State University and a graduate of Florida Coastal School of Law. Ms. Riggans recently joined the firm in July 2023 as Of Counsel. She focuses her practice in the firm’s general governmental, employment, and litigation practice areas. Prior to joining the firm, she served as the Deputy County Attorney for Leon County where she provided legal representation in matters involving tourism, labor and employment, public libraries, risk management and claims liability, public safety and emergency management, HIPAA compliance, contracts, bid protests, construction defects, Florida’s Sunshine and Public Record Laws, ethics, litigation, constitutional and statutory interpretation, code enforcement, public governance and a variety of other local government issues.
Ms. Riggans is admitted to practice in all courts of the State of Florida, and the United States District Court for the Northern District of Florida.
Prior Professional Experience
- Deputy County Attorney, Leon County, Florida, 2017-2023.
- Assistant County Attorney, Leon County, Florida, 2011 – 2017.
- Adjunct Professor, University of West Florida, 2008 – 2011.
- Assistant State Attorney, Office of the State Attorney, First Judicial Circuit of Florida, 2006 – 2011.
Professional, Civic & Community Involvement
- The Florida Bar.
- Federal Bar Association.
- American Bar Association.
- Tallahassee Bar Association.
- Tallahassee Women Lawyers.
- Tallahassee Barristers Association.
- William H. Stafford American Inn of Court.
- Justice, Tallahassee Alumni Chapter, Phi Alpha Delta Law Fraternity, International.
- The Florida Bar, Professional Ethics Committee (2019 – Present).
- The Florida Bar, First District Florida Registered Paralegal Committee, Chair (2013 – 2019).
- Labor and Employment Law EEOC and FEPA Liaison Committee.
- Labor and Employment Law School Liaison Committee.
- Volunteer, Leon County Teen Court, (2012 – Present).
- Volunteer, Leon County Classroom to Courtroom, (2012 – Present).
- Volunteer, Big Bend Disaster Animal Response Team.
- Tallahassee “25 Women You Need to Know” (2019).
- Member of Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Inc.
- J.D., Florida Coastal School of Law, 2006.
- M.P.A., Kennesaw State University, 2002.
- B.S., Kennesaw State University, 1999.