John R. Stokes
|2502 Rocky Point Drive
Tampa, Florida 33607
Phone: (813) 281-2222
Fax: (813) 281-0129
Area of Practice
Mr. Stokes has practiced exclusively in governmental finance since graduating from the University of Florida College of Law, with honors, in 1983. Mr. Stokes is an alumnus of the University of Florida College of Law – Law Review and a member of the Order of the Coif. In his practice, Mr. Stokes has served as bond counsel, disclosure counsel and underwriters' counsel on numerous tax-exempt financings for cities, counties, school districts, special districts, healthcare providers and numerous authorities. This representation includes involvement in numerous financings such as city and county utility systems, private water and sewer facilities, school district general obligation, sales tax and lease-purchase financings, special assessment district financings, transportation facilities, public and nonprofit health care and senior housing facilities and nonprofit private education facilities.
- Significant role in the structuring of Florida Pooled Loan Programs for Hospitals, Cities and Independent Colleges and Universities.
- One of the primary attorneys in Florida providing finance-related services to School Districts. Principal architect in structuring master lease-purchase programs for Florida School Districts. Involved in the seminal Florida Supreme Court cases of State of Florida v. Brevard County, Florida and State of Florida v. School Board of Sarasota County, Florida approving master lease-purchase programs and worked with the FSBA in connection with the filing of an amicus brief in Strand v. Escambia County, Florida.
- Extensive healthcare experience including providing Bond Counsel services to Shands Healthcare System, Health First Healthcare System, Southeast Volusia Hospital District, North Broward Hospital District, Naples Community Health System and West Orange Healthcare District and Disclosure Counsel services to Sarasota Memorial Health Systems and Munroe Regional Hospital. He has also provided Underwriter Counsel services in connection with issues for BayCare Health System, All Children's Hospital, Inc., Flagler Hospital and Baptist Health System.
- Provides Bond Counsel and Underwriter's Counsel services in connection with the financing of senior care facilities within Florida, Georgia, Texas, South Carolina and Tennessee.
Professional, Civic & Community Involvement
- National Association of Bond Lawyers, Member
- The Florida Bar - City, County and Local Government Section, Member
- Speaker, Florida School Finance Officers Association, Florida School Boards Association, Florida School Boards Attorneys Association, Florida Association of School Board Officers, Florida Bar, State and Local Government Section Public Finance Seminar
- J.D., with honors, University of Florida, 1983
- B.A., with honors, University of Florida, 1978
- AV® Preeminent™ 5.0 Peer Review Rated™ by Martindale-Hubbell®
- Best Lawyers In America®, Public Finance Law, First Year Listed 2009