Heather J. Encinosa
Areas of Practice
Local Government Law
Public Utilities Law
Special Project Financing
Land Use and Real Estate Law
Litigation and Appellate Law
Ms. Encinosa has dedicated her entire legal career to representing counties, cities, and other local government entities in the State of Florida. Ms. Encinosa is a 1996 graduate of the American University's Washington College of Law (summa cum laude) and a 1993 graduate of the University of Missouri (summa cum laude). Ms. Encinosa has been a member of the Florida Bar since 1997 when she joined NG&N. Ms. Encinosa is a member of the City, County, and Local Government Law Section of the Florida Bar.
Her practice includes representation of local governments on a variety of issues, including the review and negotiation of transactional documents, municipal and county home rule, constitutional and statutory interpretation, public utilities and governmental finance and tax matters.
Specifically, Ms. Encinosa serves as Wakulla County Attorney representing the county in the following practice areas: contracts and torts, procurement and purchasing, constitutional law, employment and labor, public law, litigation and appellate, administrative, finance, land use, planning and environmental, real estate and legislative. Ms. Encinosa also serves as lead counsel to the Florida Governmental Utility Authority ("FGUA"), where she provides on-going representation and advice to this governmental authority.
Ms. Encinosa serves several local governments in a special counsel capacity, touching upon all aspects of local government law. Ms. Encinosa has drafted numerous ordinances, resolutions, opinion letters, and contracts on behalf of her local government clients.
Ms. Encinosa is a frequent speaker before the Florida Association of Counties Small Counties Program, the Florida Government Finance Officers Association, and at NG&N's seminar on local government finance.
- Serves as county attorney to Wakulla County, Florida.
- Provides ongoing, day-to-day and special representation to local governments and public utility clients.
- Represents counties and municipalities in the development, structure, and implementation of special assessment programs for services and capital facilities.
- Represents counties, municipalities, and school districts in the development, structure, and implementation of impact fees for various growth-related capital improvements, such as schools, transportation, parks and recreational facilities, fire, EMS, and libraries.
- Assists clients with local government, constitutional, land use, home rule, public records, Sunshine law, and finance and tax issues.
Professional, Civic & Community Involvement
- The Florida Bar, Member.
- The Florida Bar: City, County and Local Government Law Section, Member.
- Speaker for Florida Association of County Attorneys, Florida Association of Counties Small County Coalition and Florida Government Finance Officers Association.
- Tallahassee Families with Asian Children Leadership Council, Past Chairman.
- Friends of Wakulla Springs, Board of Directors, Past Member.
- Girl Scouts of America Volunteer.
- Democratic Women's Club of Leon County, President.
- J.D., summa cum laude, The American University, Washington College of Law, 1996.
- B.J., summa cum laude, The University of Missouri, 1993.