Gregory T. Stewart
Areas of Practice
Litigation and Appellate Law
Land Use and Real Estate Law
Mr. Stewart, a Martindale-Hubbell AV-rated lawyer, is a 1975 honors graduate of the University of Florida, College of Law. Mr. Stewart served as an Assistant State Attorney for the Eighteenth Judicial Circuit from June 1975 through January 1981. He served as Chief Trial Attorney for the Public Defender's Office of Brevard County from January 1981 through August 1982. As a partner in the firm of Nabors, Potter, McClelland, Griffith & Jones, P.A., Mr. Stewart represented Brevard County, Florida as an Assistant County Attorney specializing in governmental litigation, including representation of Brevard County on personnel and employment issues, from September 1982 through March 1986. He has also served as trial counsel for various counties throughout the State of Florida in the areas of employment, land use, finance and intergovernmental litigation. He has lectured extensively on numerous aspects of local government litigation. Mr. Stewart has been selected as one of "The Best Lawyers in America" in the field of Litigation - Municipal and a Florida Super Lawyer. Mr. Stewart's area of practice includes matters related to governmental tax and finance, employment, land use, construction, civil rights claims, and trial and administrative litigation.
- Head of the firm's Litigation and Appellate Law practice areas.
- Serves as County Attorney for Okaloosa County (2014-present).
- Provides general representation to clients on employment issues, tax and finance matters and land use disputes.
- Serves as litigation counsel to clients relating to a variety of state and local revenue sources, including impact fees, special assessments and other taxes.
- Serves as litigation counsel to numerous counties and cities in matters relating to land use claims and actions relating to local government comprehensive plans.
- Represents clients before the Florida Supreme Court, all Florida District Courts of Appeal and Circuit Courts, the United States Supreme Court, the Eleventh Circuit Court of Appeals, and each of Florida's three Federal District Courts.
- Represents clients before numerous administrative bodies, including DOAH, PERC, EEOC, the FCHR and FPSC.
- Lectures to numerous professional organizations on a variety of topics, including state and local revenue sources, the Florida Sunshine Law, Florida public records law, the Americans with Disabilities Act and Family Medical Leave Act and land use issues.
Prior Professional Experience
- Nabors, Potter, McClelland, Griffith & Jones, Partner, 1982-1986.
- Chief Trial Attorney, Public Defender's Office (18th Judicial Circuit), 1981-1982.
- Assistant State Attorney (18th Judicial Circuit), 1975-1981.
Professional, Civic & Community Involvement
- Admitted to practice in all courts of the State of Florida, United States District Court for the Northern, Southern and Middle Districts of Florida, United States Bankruptcy Court for the Northern, Southern and Middle Districts of Florida, United States District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan, Eleventh Circuit Court of Appeals and United States Supreme Court.
- Member of the Leon County Bar Association.
- Former Member of the Board of Directors of the Brevard County Bar Association.
- Member of the American Bar Association and has served on its Individual Rights and Responsibilities Committee and Governmental Operations Committee.
- Member of the City, County and Local Government Law and Trial Lawyers Sections of the Florida Bar.
- J.D., University of Florida, 1975.
- B.S., Business Administration, University of Florida, 1972.