Edward A. Dion
Areas of Practice
Local Government Law
Litigation and Appellate Law
Mr. Dion is a 1978 graduate of the University of Miami's College of Law and a 1975 graduate of the University of Pennsylvania. After serving as the General Counsel of the Broward County Sheriff's office since 2004, Mr. Dion joined the Firm in October 2007. Mr. Dion served as Broward County Attorney from 1999 through 2004; as Deputy General Counsel for the Florida Department of Labor from 1987 through 1994; and was in private practice specializing in real estate and litigation from 1979 through 1987. Mr. Dion has represented and advised state and local government entities since 1987, including before the Florida Legislature, state and federal courts, and administrative agencies. Mr. Dion's area of practice includes employment law, legislative consulting, local government law, and litigation and appellate law.
- Represented and advised state and local government entities since 1987, including before the State Legislature, state and federal courts and administrative agencies.
- Provides innovative problem solving to local governments and special districts.
Prior Professional Experience
- General Counsel, Broward Sheriff's Office, 2004-2007.
- County Attorney, Broward County, 1999-2004.
- General Counsel, Florida Department of Labor, 1994-1999.
- Deputy General Counsel, Florida Department of Labor, 1987-1994.
- Private Practice specializing in real estate and litigation, 1979-1987.
Professional, Civic & Community Involvement
- The Florida Bar, Member.
- Former Executive Council Member - Florida Bar Section of City, County and Local Government Law.
- Secretary, Florida Association of County Attorneys, 2003-2004.
- Admitted to practice in Florida and in the United States District Courts for the Middle and Southern Districts of Florida, the United States Supreme Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit, and the United States Supreme Court.
- City, County and Local Government Law -- Legal Ethics and Professionalism Award, 2006.
- South Florida Legal Guide Tope Government Attorney, 2004.
- Past President, Florida Jaycees, 1986-1987.
- J.D., University of Miami, 1978.
- B.S., Economics, University of Pennsylvania, 1975.